Saturday, July 19, 2014

Painfully Aware

In some ways, I wish I could go back. As frustrating and confusing the unknown of whether or not I was actually sick was, there was a slight bliss inherent to it. Now, I know and feel when my dura is twisted, there is tightness through the bones of my skull and when the motility of my internal organs is limited. Yes, in many ways being unaware was less taxing When I didn’t feel well, I took an Advil not realizing the damage being done to my gut flora and liver. I was trusting “it worked” as the pain subsided. Yet, the work it did was mask my symptoms.

Pain is a good thing. No, I’m not a masochist. It is a good thing in that pain alerts us to a problem, something being wrong. It shows us dysfunction. Now, I believe in miracles and that Jesus who is the Divine Physician heals today as He did many years ago – body and soul. I believe in miracles where He bestows the gift of healing and the miracles where He bestows the gift of faith. But we must ask in order to receive and in order for us to ask we must know our own need. “The well have no need for a physician.” In order to know we need a physician, we must recognize our pain and our illness.

As I was leaving the office the assistant said “it was such a pleasant visit; it was a shame you got bad news at the end.” Instinctively I responded, “I’ve come to learn a difficult diagnosis is better than no diagnosis and sometimes it is the greatest gift. For when we become painfully aware we can begin to act according to the goal of health in light of reality.” Though it might not feel like it initially, it is a gift to see what was once in darkness come to light.

What happens when we are spiritually ill? Do you know the symptoms to look for? Do you know what it feels like?
Who amongst you is sick and tired of being sick and tired? Let us boldly and courageously see our painful awareness of the areas we have for growth, as the gifts they are. God beckons, “Come all you are weary and burdened and I will give you rest.” Let us rest, knowing the painful awareness of the Cross leads to the triumphant joy of the resurrection. 

Verso l’alto,
KGRC


Get your gaze off tomorrow
And let come what may

As deep cries out to deep

Is it just the sun breaking through the clouds? No I know it’s more. Heaven’s breaking through

Give God a chance to surprise you

“Some people put more stock in a Tylenol than in the Eucharist. When they take a Tylenol, they expect something to change. But when they come to the Eucharist it is as though they move through the motions.” Fr. Landry  

No comments:

Post a Comment