Thursday, September 25, 2014

Seasons of Change

Change is a constant of life. There are times we seek it and others when it “just happens,” like the cool wind of Fall sweeping over the summer haze. It can be a good thing and it certainly can be uncomfortable. Like the new skin that grows underneath a scab, change can push us outside our comfort zone making us want to scratch the itch of it not feeling totally right.

I’m a routine person. It’s a family thing – early to bed, early to rise. I’m nicer when I follow a schedule (What’s up, understatement!).  So when the schedule changes it’s slightly (eerrr…exponentially) frustrating waiting to find the new routine. As we glide into fall there are moments when it feels appropriate to be sipping coffee all cuddled up on the couch and there are other moments that have me running for the beach. In the midst of the change of seasons, it is an opportunity to see where we have come from and where we are going is only linked by where we are. Seasons of change bring up lots of “what should I be doing” moments. For me, the recent season of change has me asking the practical - when should I pray? How should I pray? When can I socialize? What’s my work schedule? And the ever-important questions: when can I play and when can I work out?

As these practical questions come to mind (and yes, they are important), I am encouraged first to answer “who am I to become?” From this flows what should I do, when should I do it, and how the daily “it’s” should be done? With peace, joy, and love I am called to be me - the best, unique and unrepeatable version of me. As God created me in His image and likeness I am called, by name, into His heart of mercy to be refined and strengthened by His love. I am called to more firmly hear His Truth: “I have loved you with an everlasting love.” I am called through the season of change to recognize we are constantly called to becoming more authentically ourselves. We are constantly called to greater freedom throughout life, which is itself a season of change from life to Life. Let us hold fast to what is unchanging in our lives, the inestimable and steadfast love of God, through any and all seasons of change.

Verso l’alto,
Kathryn Grace

“Laid down in grief/But woke with the keys/ To hell on that day/ First born of the slain/ The man Jesus Christ laid/ Death in his grave.” *This is what's on repeat these days*


Whatever way our stories end, I know you have rewritten mine …
Who can say if I have been changed for the better? But because I knew You, I have been changed for Good.


One thing remains

“By day the Lord commands His steadfast love; and at night His song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life.” Psalm 42:8

“It is what is unchanging in our lives that helps us make sense of change.” Matthew Kelly 

No comments:

Post a Comment