Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Let it Be... Great

4/11/2013
Gospel Jn 3:31-36 
The one who comes from above is above all.
The one who is of the earth is earthly and speaks of earthly things.
But the one who comes from heaven is above all.
He testifies to what he has seen and heard,
but no one accepts his testimony.
Whoever does accept his testimony certifies that God is trustworthy.
For the one whom God sent speaks the words of God.
He does not ration his gift of the Spirit.
The Father loves the Son and has given everything over to him.
Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life,
but whoever disobeys the Son will not see life,
but the wrath of God remains upon him.



“By His suffering He learned obedience.” If I had taken writing 101, I am sure there is some rule about hooking people in order to have them read what you write that says don’t start with words like suffering and obedience. They aren’t exactly enticing. I’m going out on a limb; hoping you are still reading.

The other day I was meditating on the argument for abortion and realizing the foundation of why some people support this action is related to the inconvenience of new life, the disruption of one's game plan. Some fears are foundational to this being an option many consider and act on. As I was thinking about this, I was struck by the areas in my own life where I have a mentality towards God that reflects a similar fear and some of the areas where I recently felt inconvenienced. (This is not to downplay the intrinsically evil act of abortion as the commandments command us thou shall not kill. Nor is it a sidebar on the beautiful courage and joy that comes from choosing life in the midst of difficult circumstances, though the women I have met who have lived this are truly beautifully courageous).  Rather it is to highlight that God says let you who have not sinned cast the first stone and how like he extended a hand to Mary Magdelene to begin a new, He does the same to us. He invites us to dance.  

To be honest, I’ve been sick for a while and the past week I wasn’t feeling well. There are good days and rough days when living with a chronic illness. This week was rough. As I was thinking about the challenges of this, I had a litany of complaints for God. I was frustrated, angry, inconvenienced at best. To be honest, I was straight up pissed. Realizing the plans I had aren't possible and that the plans I loved aren't His is tough. Yet, it's an opportunity to see with new eyes of faith the love God has and the gentle way He leads.  What areas in your life are you frustrated with? (If we want God to be real with us, we gotta be real with Him).

I realized my frustration resided in wanting my will to be done. I realized I distrusted God’s will, God’s plan. I distrusted His Goodness and the truth that in the midst of difficulty He was and is near. I distrusted this plan was good, never mind possibly better than what I imagined. 

He doesn’t mess up and He doesn’t hold back. God is generous. He doesn’t hold out and say you can have a little of my life within you and then when you are worthy you can have more. ”The Father loves the Son and has given everything over to Him.”  The Father loves the Son and because of this great love He is impelled to give everything over to Him.  He loves us and asks us to come empty handed so that we might receive all that He longs to give us. What areas are you holding back: your career, your dating life, your sex life, your friendships/social life, your schedule, your life plan, your vocation?

We are not only called to receive the love of our Father but we are then called to give as well. We are called to love, like He does. We are called to surrender and to totally give all that we are (present, future, and past) and to trust His grace is sufficient. He asks us to trust that He gives all that we need and that He is a Father who loves with an abundant love.

"The fullest, the most uncompromising form of love consists precisely in self-giving, in making one's inalienable and non-transferable 'I' someone else's property. This is doubly paradoxical: firstly in that it is possible to step outside one's own 'I' in this way, and secondly, in that 'I' far from being destroyed or impaired as a result is enlarged and enriched."  (JP II, Love and Responsibility, pg. 97)

Let us trust that as we surrender to God's love, we are not giving up but rather opening up to encounter and receive more than we could have imagined we longed for. Let us long and trust in God's mercy, which meets every sinner no matter the sin. Let us trust His goodness, His grace, His Providence and His way. Let us trust Mary's example and proclaim "Let it be done unto me." Let us trust her advice to do whatever He tells us.  

Verso l'alto, 
Kathryn 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eof2c5fTcI8

No comments:

Post a Comment