Thursday, December 12, 2013

Advent: A Call to Adventure

The other day I picked up the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. It’s a favorite and the fact I can actually say it was a college “text” book makes it even better. (Yes, kids. Providence College is the best!) The opening chapter sets the stage of fairy tale. As a result of a rainy day, the children are forced to stay inside; however, their adventurous spirits guide them to explore the house. They see infinite possibilities behind each door, literally.

Recently I was meditating on the Blessed Virgin Mary, carrying the Christ Child during her pregnancy. I saw Joseph leading the donkey through the desert. Mary sat peaceful and still. In the background, I heard the back seat driving New Yorker in me pipe up: “Where the hell are we going?”  As I echoed this question recently to my unresponsive apartment walls, it was paired with some hand slamming onto the kitchen table to the point of bruising. To say it was a far cry from the joyful hope of the children who explored Narnia might be the understatement of 2013. As adults we call it “the unknown” where as when we are children we call it adventure. Let us reclaim the call to come with child like faith, trusting the unknown to the joyful adventure God has in store for us. Let us hear the call of advent, to come, to God’s glorious adventure.

Juan Diego didn’t know when he arrived at the Bishop’s that Our Lady of Guadalupe would leave an imprint of her image on his tilma. He didn’t know that she would bring out-of-seasons roses to him on the hill. He didn’t know Mary would intercede and that his uncle would be healed. But we do. We know that Mary advocates for us. We know that God wants to shower us with miracles. Is your heart open to the infinite possibilities of love and hope that God wants to bestow on you today? Do you believe in miracles? Are you open to all He wants to give you this day? How do you prepare your heart to receive the miracle of His life giving love? Let us wait with joyful Hope and proclaim His presence in the womb.

"Hear and let it penetrate into your heart, my dear little son [or daughter!]: let nothing discourage you, nothing depress you. Let nothing alter your heart or your countenance. Also, do not fear any illness or vexation, anxiety or pain. Am I not here who am your mother? Are you not under my shadow and protection? Am I not your fountain of life? Are you not in the folds of my mantle, in the crossing of my arms? Is there anything else that you need?" Our Lady of Guadalupe. 

Our Lady of Guadalupe, Mother of life, pray for us. Bl. Pier Giorgio Frassati, intercede so that we may abandon ourselves to Our Lady's care as you did. 

Verso l'alto, 
Kathryn

Amazing Grace how sweet the sound, I hear you singing over me

It's where I learned the path to heaven is full of sinners and believers 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBTpoKvre84

Counting Your Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment