Thursday, February 20, 2014

Striving Towards Acceptance

Being cleared to swim two weeks ago meant I could swim 50 m intervals with a two minute rest in between each set for 30 minutes. I have to be honest the rest part the past few weeks looked more like range of motion and abdominal work off t side of the pool then pure rest. Since this week I was going to be doing 100 meters mixed in with the 50 meters I decided to do this crazy thing and rest during the allotted rest period. I reasoned that if I actually rested I might be able to swim faster. From previous experience, I knew it would work and it did!  

As I was focusing on pulling myself down the length of the pool I had this seemingly dichotomous repetition running through my head: striving and accepting. Striving towards the wall as fast as possible with the best form while also accepting the period of rest as necessary, good, and even beneficial.

We should strive to holistically improve – physically, emotionally, spiritually, intellectually, and socially. We should desire and long to be the great saints God creates us to be.  We should emphatically run the race and compete well. However, we can’t grow if we are busy fighting where we are.

I’ve been struggling with acceptance as of late. In the pool I realized it’s not something to struggle with but rather something to strive towards. What is God asking you to accept – His joy, His peace, His Providence, His goodness, His eternal love, His teachings, His Mother, His cross, His time of preparation, His resurrection?

Bl. Pier Giorgio and Bl. John Paul II accepted God’s good plans and joy through all seasons. “For the joy of the Lord is their strength.” Let us accept God’s joy as strength knowing nothing is outside of His love and mercy and that He will either protect us from suffering or give us unending strength to bear it. Let us accept peace and joy as we strive towards the top.

Verso l’alto,
Kathryn

I got you

There was a young guy in the lane next to me training for the Navy. As we spoke about his preparation I blurted out “You’ll get there. It’s just one day at a time trying to be better than yesterday.” #Justkeepswimming

No comments:

Post a Comment