Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Life Guard

5 o clock at night was always one of my favorite times at the beach and not just because Jimmy Buffet extols the hour. At that time, the lifeguards would knock over the guard towers and they’d compete as the tide was coming in - row boat races, paddling competitions, and swimming sprints to name a few. It was pretty badass. Obviously, I wanted to be a beach guard.  

As I think about the many hours spent playing in the ocean, I knew there was a freedom to play and explore beyond my comfort zone - to stay in when the water was rising not only because the adventure of high tide was fun but because I knew who had my back. We all have people we allow to sit in the guard chairs of our lives, those whom we trust to guard our hearts. Who’s on guard for you? Who are your life guards?

“In a sermon written in 593, Pope Gregory the Great took a familiar biblical text (“Son of man, I have made you a watchman for the house of Israel”) and sketched a portrait of the prophet Ezekiel that seemed to apply to John Paul II …: ‘Note that a man whom the Lord sends forth as a preacher is called a watchman. A watchman always stands on a height so that he can see from afar what is coming. Anyone appointed to be a watchman for the people must stand on a height for all his life to help them by his foresight.” (Witness to Hope, 885).

At different times in life, there might be different people who are sitting in the guard chair for you. In college, for me, it was the Dominicans - domini canes - the watch dogs of the Lord.  Like a good lifeguard they watched on as I played safely, pre-emptively spotted danger and called me back when my youthful spirit got too adventurous, and they trained me, similarly to the lifeguards, through daily exercises. These watch dogs expounded the college motto Veritas, Truth, by showing me His face and His heart. We are each called to play within the bounds of the lifeguard’s view, for our own protection, and we are also called to serve as life guards for our brothers and sisters. Let us protect and nurture one another’s faith and hearts with youthful zeal and steadfast courage.

Verso l’alto,
KCoop


My blood runs red, white, and blue
I’ll brave the cold, the wind and the bullets so you don’t have to….
I’ll keep you safe on my watch tonight

when the edge of surrenders in sight
don't you worry
it's gonna be alright
cause I'm always ready
i won't let you out of my sight


It’s 5 O’clock Somewhere

Hail Providence! We praise thy name!

No comments:

Post a Comment