Sunday, March 16, 2014

Changed for the Better

A few weeks ago I voraciously read The Long Run. It was the kind of book you opened every free moment you had. Matt Long, a New York Firefighter and Ironman competitor, was on his way to work one morning when a bus made a turn into his lane, sucking him under the bus leaving his bike impaled onto his body. He sustained life threatening injuries that resulted in doctor’s preparing his family for a mere miracle chance of survival followed by dozens of surgeries and years of rehab.

I saw Matt speak about a month ago. He started by noting he would talk about his comeback story though he hated the word comeback. As an athlete who has been sidelined longer than I desired over the past few years, though I appreciate the lessons from atrophy, I am attempting to once more get back on my bike and needed inspiration and encouragement. Matt delivered both from the podium; however, the genius he shared was in the quick few minutes we chatted afterwards.

I asked about the process of coming back: what did it look like in the midst I inquired. “It wasn’t pretty,” he replied. I knew I had met somebody I could relate to. I myself had uttered the same phrase many times. The thing, though, is that as much as it wasn’t pretty at certain moments, when I step back and take the “long view” (pun intended) I see the life changing opportunities that came through obstacles that God used to transform me.

Similar to traveling or hiking, once you start walking, you realize how much further you want to go. Proverbially, it’s when you live on the edge of your comfort zone your limits expand and your comfort zone grows so that you have new boundaries. Comebacks aren’t a bad thing; however, I think there’s more to be said about coming through and experiencing metanoia, change of heart.

We fight change and we fear it. Yet, as Christians, this is the gift of Lent. We are offered the opportunity to give up life  of the flesh and to live life in the Spirit.  We are given the opportunity to turn from our ways of sin and turn to the love and mercy of God. We are invited to die to ourselves so that we might live LIFE in ABUNDANCE. Lent is a time when we mortify our mortal desires so that we might more resoundingly hear the whisper of the Holy Spirit, who leads us verso l’alto. Are you living Lent with the intention of being changed for the better ? Are you living Life according to the Holy Spirit?

“Life according to the Spirit, whose fruit is holiness (cf. Rom 6:22;Gal 5:22), stirs up every baptized person and requires each to follow and imitate Jesus Christ, in embracing the Beatitudes, in listening and meditating on the Word of God, in conscious and active participation in the liturgical and sacramental life of the Church, in personal prayer, in family or in community, in the hunger and thirst for justice, in the practice of the commandment of love in all circumstances of life and service to the brethren, especially the least, the poor and the suffering. (CHRISTIFIDELES LAICI, no. 16) “ Bl. Pier Giorgio, teach us how to be attentive to the whispers of the Holy Spirit.

Peace,
Kathryn


​There's a HOPE inside of me, getting stronger with every breath  I breathe 

Mercy will we overcome this, one by one we will turn it around

I have been changed for good

No comments:

Post a Comment