Thursday, March 6, 2014

Playing with the Big Kids


The other day I was swimming and two big guys got into the pool. Well this was great because I knew they would displace water into my lane making it harder to pull myself through my workout. “It’s time to swim with the big kids,” I thought.

Growing up my dad would often talk about practice. You’ve got to practice outside of team practices to get better was oft mentioned . I can’t even say he was a broken record to my fifteen-year-old ears because I love to play. In particular, the one thing that was absolutely certain was that if you want to get better not only do you have to practice but also you have to play against people who are better - faster, stronger, older- than you. Mostly, though, he told me to play against guys.

Are you a big fish in a small pond or do you surround yourself with people who are smarter, wiser, kinder, and braver than yourself? Now, I believe we are all unique and unrepeatable miracles. That is as true as the day is long. Therefore, this question is meant to assess our desire for formation. Similar to a traveler about to ruck up and roll out, if there are people who have walked the places we want to go, wouldn’t it be prudent to garner their advice so we can learn from their experiences and apply their knowledge to our own unique trip? God has given us models, the saints, who have followed Christ, the Way, to walk with us as we journey towards Him this Lent.

Last night I was reading over Pier Giorgio’s letter to his friend Marco Beltramo. The letter detailed Bl. Pier Giorgio’s reading of St. Augustine.

“In any event, these days I am mixing my rather boring studies with the marvelous writings of St. Augustine; never before have I found such endless enjoyment, because in reading Augustine’s powerful Confessions, we get a glimpse of the joy reserved for those who die under the sign of the cross” (An Ordinary Christian, 61). 

He loved Augustine. He had a devotion to Catherine of Siena; he longed to read Aquinas; and he loved Dominic and Dominican spirituality to the point of taking vows as a lay member, known as a tertiary. (In my biased opinion, he has good taste). Pier Giorgio exclaimed “to adore was the greatest act, because it meant taking part in the life of the saints in heaven” (An Ordinary Christian, 60).  Bl. Pier Giorgio knew the value in playing with the big kids and following their example. Who are your patrons?  Do you hear their invitation to share their wisdom for your Lenten journey? Do you see the way they extend their hand in real friendship towards us?

Let us adore Christ and thank Him for the example He has given through the lives of the saints. May they intercede for us and invite us to know the crucified and risen Lord more intimately. May we, like all great saints, behold Our Mother and entrust all of our cares to her maternal and Immaculate Heart. Let us play with the big kids and let us play all out

Verso l’alto,

Kathryn Grace

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean (I'm a swimmer also, USMS). I've been writing on my blog WZE since January on movie, TV, and music Christian commentary. There are really big fish out there like Fr. Barron, CMReport, and First Things who do essentially the same thing, but you still have to play with the big kids. With practice, one never knows what will happen (help people consider the One True Faith?). Only God will tell.

    ReplyDelete