Monday, May 12, 2014

Bold Love

I thought about my understanding of bold love in college and what comes to mind is In Your Eyes blaring out of a boom box from the scene of Say Anything. Now, I can’t say I had any interest in that movie but I did love that song. It was a communion meditation song at 10:30 pm Mass. And well, I’m biased. St. Dom’s is the place I grew up. In the movie High school senior Lloyd Dobler wants nothing more than to go out with beautiful and intelligent Diane Court. Lloyd attempts to win her heart and one of the memorable scenes is when Lloyd stands outside Diane’s house blaring this song as an attempt to win her over, despite her father’s objections. (Thank you 1980s for making cheesy movies and memorable scenes). The part that stands out in this “bold move” is that he does stand a chance of being rejected. The bold roar of a lion quivers compared to the silent acceptance of the lamb.

I think of boldness usually as one impelled by courage and he is. Naturally, I would equate bold love with audacious acts. But it’s also faithfulness in the mundane. It’s folding laundry and doing dishes and biting one’s tongue and extending forgiveness. Boldness is both the soldier who rucks up for battle and his wife who awaits his return. It’s radical commitment and involves giving without expecting in return. “Christian love is always bold.” In that bold love there is a gentle kindness. It is a both tidal wave and deep waters of stillness. Boldness is not stoicism. It is a heart that has been injured that loves anyway. It is an outpouring of one’s very self.

Mary’s heart, her bold yes, was precipitated by Christ’s invitation. The invitation He extends to us through the trials and blessings of life: “do you trust me?” In particular, when God invites us to grow through suffering, when He extends the intimate invitation to join Him on, and not run away from, the cross, do we see and hear the invite as it is: “an invitation to participate in the resurrection”? Bold love proclaims the goodness of God through all seasons. It imitates our Lady’s fiat when in the midst of the unknown she proclaimed: “He who is mighty has done great things for me…be it done unto me according to the thy will.”

Bold love is a holy surrender and a tenacious commitment to see through the good the Lord has started. It is a docile receptivity to the Holy Spirit knowing God fulfills the desires of our hearts, just not always as we expect. The bold love Christ poured out  on the cross was and is His mercy from His wounds, opening a torrent of life-giving grace. Bold love sits at the feet of Mercy to receive Him. Will you let Him boldly love you? Will you love Him boldly in return?

Verso l’alto,
Kathryn 

In your eyes, I am complete

I give anything to see the sun again but I believe I will
Sarah Kroger – Soon and Letting Go .. worth the itunes buy J

Good things are worth waiting for

No comments:

Post a Comment