Thursday, May 15, 2014

Faith of My Fathers

As I sat in Church, the sun shined through the stained glass window cascading three separate rainbows on the gold candlestick. It reminded me of God’s promise to Noah:

“I promise every living creature that the earth and those living on it will never again be destroyed by a flood. The rainbow that I have put in the sky will be my sign to you and to every living creature on earth. It will remind you that I will keep this promise forever. When I send clouds over the earth, and a rainbow appears in the sky, I will remember my promise to you and to all other living creatures. Never again will I let floodwaters destroy all life” (Gen. 9: 9-15).

As I thought about the faith of my fathers I thought about the promises God made to His chosen people throughout the ages and how these promises extend to us in our current day and our current situation. These aren’t just notions of piety meant to offer pseudo-solace in the midst of difficulty nor are they past realities. They are truths we are called to cling to when our faith is weak and we can’t make these proclamations by ourselves. It is then that we pray, “Lord, I believe help my unbelief”. It is here also that we hold onto the faith of those who have gone before us. When I think about the faith of my fathers I think not only of those who I have known personally but also the communion of saints who have lived these truths, showing me it is indeed possible to trust that God’s promises of protection in the midst of the storm is real and that the floodwaters, though they may rise, shall not destroy.

St. John Paul the Great and Blessed Pier Giorgio are men who staked their lives on the hope of the risen Christ. They trusted through trial and storms and they proclaimed the triumphant light of Christ in the midst of darkness. JPII made one of the boldest acclamations of faith, in my estimation, when he proclaimed: “No matter the difficulties, I accept.” This wasn’t a “I’ll suck it up and deal with it” faith. Rather it was a bold surrender trusting the love of God and His promises no matter what. He knew “that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose (Rom. 8:28).” JPII knew not only the promises of God but the God who keeps His promise. Let us trust that the will of God will never lead us outside the grace of God. May our living faith be emboldened and our vision of who God is, a tender and merciful Father, be made more clear. "The light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it" (John 1:5).

Verso l’alto,
Kathryn 

I put all of my hope on the truth of your promise and I steady my heart on the ground of your goodness

I can see clearly now the rain is gone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vixruyRols

GET YOUR SHINE ON!

No comments:

Post a Comment